Long established as one of Britians most prolific car producers, Austin merged with Morris to form BMC in 1952. Notable for the development and build of the Mini, Austin continued to be the main manufacture of cars in the UK until the name was surrendered in 1988 when all cars became badged as Rovers.
The Austin A30/A35 series was a small family car built to compete against the Morris Minor, Production started in 1952, superseded in 1956 by the A35 with production of the estate stopping in 1962. Commercial version continued until 1968.
The Austin A40 Farina is a small family car introduced in 1958, it was only ever sold as an Austin. The Countryman estate is often credited as an early adopter of the hatchback format. Production ended in 1967.
Several different Austins were marketed under the A40 name between 1947 and 1967, these included the Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Cambridge, as well sports and commercial versions.
The 1953 Austin Metropolitan was the first American designed car to be exclusively built in the UK, European cars were sold via Austin outlets with Nash version being sold in the states. Production ended in 1961.
The Austin 1100/1300 was a range of small family cars, introduced in 1962. Along with near identical Morris, Riley, Wolseley and MG version, the car maintained a regular best selling status throughout its production run, until replaced by the Allegro in 1973.
Initially designed to replace the Mini, the Metro is credited in helping to stabilize the company reputation when introduced in 1980. Although production of the original version stopped in 1990, the model in heavily re-engineered form continued until 1997.
Introduced in 1973, to replace the popular 1100/1300 models. Only ever sold as an Austin saloon or estate, sales in the UK were initially respectable. The design remained in production until 1982.
The Maestro was introduced in 1983, and only ever sold as a 5 door hatchback or a van. The design inadvertently became a long lived design with final re-imported kits models being registered as late as 2001. MG versions were also sold.
The 1969 Maxi was the UK first 5 door hatchback, designed as the first product by the newly formed British Leyland. The basic design remained almost unchanged during its 12 year production run, and was eventually replaced the Maestro and Montego.
Following the Maestro, the Montego was launched in 1984 as a saloon and estate. Like the Metro and Maestro, it was available as a MG. The design remained in production until 1995, and became the last Austin badged car.
The Austin 1800/2200 models like the smaller 1100/1300 were a range of FWD saloons sold under a variety of badges. The car won the coveted car of the year award in 1965, a year after its introduction. Typically for a BMC product it had a long production run, with the last cars being assembled in 1975.
The Princess name had been used on a variety of different BMC models in the past, but the new 1975 4 door saloon owed nothing to its previous name bearers. The car survived into the 80’s in virtually unchanged form until replaced by the similar Ambassador in 1982.
A short lived redevelopment of the Princess, the Ambassador was offered with a hatchback but unlike the Princess was only ever sold with RHD. The last example was registered in 1984.
The Austin Cambridge (also known as the A40/A50/A55 and A60) were the main family sized saloon and estate cars for BMC from 1954, typically badge engineered it was laso sold with Morris, Riley, Wolseley and MG badges until 1971, although commercials varients were available for a further 3 years.
The Austin Westminster series was Austin’s executive car from 1954 to 1968, based the Cambridge family of cars using s litre engines. Badged as the A90, A95, A99, A105 or A110, the cars were often refered to as the Westminster’s even though only the earliest incarnations used the name badge.
The final evolution of the 1960’s BMC family range of similarly styled car, the 1968 RWD cars were slow sellers and only sold for 3 years. They were the last of the prestigue Austin cars, all subsequent executive BL products were delegated to Jaguar and Rover.
The Austin Champ is the civilian version of a British Army design made from 1951 to 1956. The Gipsy replaced it and ceased production in 1968 following the merger with BL who had also inherited the better known Land Rover.
The Austin FX4 is the original taxicab design from 1958. The intellectual rights to the design were passed over to Carbodies and LTI after 1982.
Austin-Healey were established in 1952 as a joint venture between BMC and the Donald Healey Motor Company (Healey), a renowned automotive engineering and design firm. The venture ended in 1972.